What Diagnostic Tool to Get

Home Forums The Garage What Diagnostic Tool to Get

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    borgunit
    Participant

Hi. I am a DIYer and enjoy working on my car at home. I have a ANCEL AD410 Scanner (just so you know where I am starting from). I have a P0300 error (the famous one) but no other indicators. The vehicle (06 Chevy Express 3500 with 6.0L) does not run rough that I can tell but this error will not go away. I’ve tried the basic replace items (plugs, wires, air filter) but now I want to actually figure out what’s going on. I saw the video about working through this error but I think the scanner I have won’t get me to the place I can figure this out. Being cheap, I have a couple of questions. What would be a cheap(ish) scanner that can let me scan the issue? Can let me correct the issue (resets if necessary)? Or should I just take it to a shop and let them diagnose it?

Thanks

TJScanlon
      Participant

Hello Borgunit,

I am a novice but have learned a ton from watching the videos on this site as well as others such as ScannerDanner. I started with the BlueDriver which seems very similar to the ANCEL, except it works via bluetooth and uses your phone or ipad. I ultimately wanted something a little better with better live graphing – I was trying to troubleshoot and verify a bad O2 Sensor. I also wanted to graph multiple inputs at the same time, which BlueDriver can do but measurement interval increases with each input you graph. I found some free software for my laptop that worked with Ford-Mazda called FORScan, there may be something similar for GM. I only had to purchase a recommended OBDII cable for it to work. It provides much better graphing. The Blue Driver just didn’t seem to react fast enough but it was pretty good.

Good luck,
        Tom Scanlon

jortegaa3289
        Participant

I am incapable of reading articles online very often, but I’m happy I did today. It is very well written, please, don’t stop to writing and sharing such kinds of informative posts.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.