Please introduce yourself!!

Vlog Home Forums Welcome and Introductions Please introduce yourself!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    Bank1
    Participant

Hi Matt,

Great to see you back.
    As a fellow scientist and DIY enthusiast, I really appreciate the thoughts and efforts that you put in making car diagnostics more accessible.

All the best with this new format!
    Pierre

yosi
    Participant

Hi matt
    Yosi from israel age 44.
    owner of a SEAT leon cupra 290 .
    I have nothing to do with cars but drive it.
    but love your channel .
    I find it very interesting how things work and how you explane them the way it should work and not the bull you get at the garage.
    I can watch any explnation on how stuff works and fixing things.
    its all good.
    looking forwod to watching all your content.
    keep up the good work .
    thank you

Artie
    Participant

Hi everyone. Just recently joined SBQM but have been following on you tube. Have extensive background on mechanical equipment being a high performance jet aircraft mechanic but not that deep into the electrical field. very interested in learning the electrical operations and also the mechanical since I really enjoy and trust my own work rather than having someone else doing it. I find Matt quite Knowledgeable seeing as he has learned the systems on his own through trial and error and sweat. I have Honda vehicles as do my family members and am alwasys ready to help them. I would also admitt i’m a tool nut so anyone with knowledge of tools that would be helpful such as scanners for the diyer etc. would be helpful. I’ve been buying and adding as I go along after watching videos anticipating what I will eventually need.its rough switching from SAE to all Metric but whatever. Looking forward to learning from everyone ARTIE

cbriden
    Participant

I am here as promised. I am a longtime fan of SBQM and it’s my favorite channel on youtube followed by South Main Auto. I have a 2000 Ford Expedition & a 2003 Mustang in my fleet that the channel helps me keep running. I am grateful that you have decided to put your time into making these videos while trying to maintain another job. I hope the new business model of hosting the content yourself proves successful and makes Youtube realize they are killing the golden goose when the hurt creators.

tallpilot
    Participant

Hello!

I am David from Florida. I went to school for computer science but grew tired of working in a cubicle so I went to flight school and eventually ended up an airline pilot. I like picking up new skills so I decided to dabble in auto repair. I agree with Matt that one should pick a hobby unrelated to one’s career in order to exercise different cognitive and motor functions as well as prevent boredom.

It has been a fun journey minus the requisite embarrassing FNG mistakes. However there is no better teacher than the pain of failure. I now work on stuff for several people at work and my family. I want to express my gratitude to people like Matt, Paul Danner and Eric O for the countless hours they have spent recording and editing video plus taking the time to teach while doing (which is exponentially more difficult than just fixing a car). Gaining knowledge and then selflessly sharing it with others is one of the most altruistic endeavors and unlike most platitudes and virtue signaling actually does make the world a better place.

I have a 6 year old little girl and hope she develops into something of a polymath. It is somewhat hard to imagine what will be the keys to success (material or self actualization) over her lifetime but I have no doubt the more useful skills she can gain the better off she will be.

Kamel
    Participant

Hello everyone 🙂

My name is Chad and I am a software engineer. I design all sorts of automation software using lots of different technologies.

My dad always told me “If you want something done right, you’ve got to do it yourself”. He could be a bit of a hard ass, so I always thought it was just a saying. Once I got older I realized he really wasn’t kidding about that one. I originally did my own automotive work as a way to save money, but now-a-days I do it because I don’t trust my vehicle in the hands of people who are doing the least they can get by with to get their next paycheck… or someone who is trying to outright scam me out of my money by telling me I need things I don’t.

I also do all of my own electrical, HVAC, plumbing, and handy work around the house. I believe I may have received the “nothing is ever good enough” curse of my father, but it has served me well. I would not be the person I am if I were OK with mediocre work.

I really love Matt’s videos, they far exceed my high standards. The world needs more people like him with in tact logic boards that actually bother turning them on.

ajay
    Participant

G’day from New Zealand. The youtube channel is rare quality because you care about understanding concepts to first principals, getting things right and thinking through problems . Buying a 07 subaru has gotten me into servicing, learning fuel trims, knock strategy and using data loggers to see what’s actually happening. SBQM has helped heaps and I’m keen to keep learning. Andy

centoweld
    Participant

Hi, my name is tony from a small town in Canada. We have 3 older vehicles and 3 teenagers who are involved in competition sports that involve a lot of travel.
    I started getting familiar with diy car repair by servicing the brakes and found that I can do a better job than dealerships with flat rate mechanics and saving a ton of money. You tube was my source of education.
    I am now interested in learning more about diagnostic and that’s why I’m here. I love the basis electricity series. I thought I knew enough but didn’t realize how little I knew once I saw your videos.
    What I would like to see from you is doing diagnostics with just the basic tool like a dvom, testlight and low cost diagnostic tools like the bleudriver scanner or even the power probe 4.
    I lose interest when the pico scope and Snap-On expensive diagnostic tools come out, even though it is interesting but I cant take that to the garage and practice. This is part of the reason I chose your site over that from scanner-danner.
    Hope this helps you in finding out what viewers like.

Tusharpu

Hello everyone,
    I am Antony a shadetree mechanic from Kenya.I got some not so good background on automobiles.i am here to learn as much as i can.
    Much thanks to Matt,i have learned much from your Youtube channel.

Welchsteven
    Participant

Hi Matt,

Steven Welch here. I am in my mid-30s, I live in Denver, and I have an obsession with repairing and building things. Much like you, I have a background in science and engineering. I have a BS in Computer Engineering with minors in computer science and math and an MS in Electrical Engineering focusing on Engineering Design Education, Optics and Photonics, and RF design. My work currently un-focused and I work on many things including Systems Engineering and Electronic Design work for the Atlas Detector at CERN. I lived in Switzerland and France for about four years before returning to the US in 2014. In 2015 I started two businesses one which sells homebrew equipment and the other is focused on game-based education. Neither of which generate a lot of revenue. So I keep my day job at CERN. I excel at the building, modifying, and creating of things and I don’t really discriminate. Which is why my projects tend to span so many different subjects. These days I specialize in taking an idea and returning a finished product.

My primary interests outside of work include backpacking/hiking, brewing beer, high-powered rockets, cooking, sailing, and of course automobiles.

As a kid, my dad and I worked on our families cars. I continued minor repairs, oil changes, etc. on my own vehicles. When I moved back to the US in 2014 I bought an old 1998 F150 as a project for my dad and me. The truck didn’t run and required an engine rebuild and a ton of other things. Videos such as yours and Eric the Car Guys along with various books provided some insight and some confidence to rebuild this truck. We started with a complete engine rebuild, then cooling system, AC system, front suspension, and front differential. Basically, the only thing in the engine bay that wasn’t replaced was the Evap system, EGR valve, PCV valves, fuel injectors, and fuel pressure regulator. It took much longer and cost much more than I could have predicted to get the truck running, but run it does. I credit the knowledge shared by you and others for this success.

I personally really like the diagnosis and understand series and the rebuild series. That is what I am into though. A series or two about transmissions would be great. Maybe one automatic and one on Evap systems or more in-depth series on PCV and engine vacuum. I am just throwing out ideas here.

So I rambled on enough here. I just want to say thanks for creating such great content and curating such a wonderful community!

aknight_sa
    Participant

Hello

My Name is Abdullah Farhan, from Saudi Arabia. 42 years old and just a simple DIY’re been into diagnostics since 2008, bought scannerdanner’s book which is great but hard to keep up as its not easy to do what he does without the expensive tools.

just recently started watching Schrodingers Box which i love as it really related to me and what i have (i even have Auto Enginuity tool)

i love working on cars and always have a project car to work on.. my current projects are 1984 K5 Blazer, and a 2007 Dodge durango 5.7 v8

its great to be here

Mk4_18T
    Participant

Greetings All and Hello Matt!

My name is Adam and I am excited to be a new official member of the SBQM fan base. Longtime lurker, first time poster.

Five years ago I received a 2003 VW Jetta GLS 1.8t (AWP) with an 02J 5-speed transmission (EHA) as a hand-me-down car from my father, who had decided to move on to driving something a bit nicer than a FWD econobox. The car was purchased brand new so it was single owner, it had 140,000 miles on the odometer, it was all original except for maintenance items (the maintenance schedule was followed impeccably), and of course the items replaced under recall, plus the car had been garage kept in California for its entire life. It really was an outstanding specimen of the VW Mk4/A4 platform.

Well, after a little over a month of owning the car (and juuuuuuuuust long enough to fall in love with the gift / curse / all-consuming obsession that is Volkswagen ownership), the clutch went out. Being in my late 20’s at the time and a life-long resident of the insanely expensive SF Bay Area, you can imagine the sound of my jaw hitting the floor when I was quoted the cost to replace it.

Right then and there I decided that I would either:
    a.) Learn how to maintain and repair the car myself
    or
    b.) I could not afford to keep the car

I had read some Summit Catalogs as a teen, and had a vague understanding of American Muscle Cars, but up to that point I had never turned a wrench in my life, save doing an oil change once with my grandfather when I was a kid.

Back to the present day, and I am now on my second Mk4 Jetta 1.8t (first one was hit and totaled by some idiot) and I have successfully performed SMF/Clutch conversions, Strut / Coil Spring / Strut Mount / Control Arm / Bushing / Wheel Bearing / Hub Installs, Swapped in Audi TT spindles and subframe, and dare I say it? Even my own timing belt, tensioner, and water pump on two separate occasions. 🙂 You name it and I have done it to that car, including my own ecu re-mapping using Nefmoto (insanely smart people on that site, much like this one), water / meth injection + tuning, and even refinished some badly rashed 18″ Audi B6 S4 wheels which are currently on the car.

I learned and performed all of this in the driveway, with my only guidance coming from:
    – A Bentley Manual
    – A downloaded copy of VAGCOM 409.1 + an Ebay OBDII cable
    – The VW forums (I know…I know…)
    – Your YouTube Channel (along with BMAC VAGS very informative VW specific channel and the Humble Mechanic Channel)
    – an ungodly number of hours and curse words

So here I am. Now let’s break some stuff so we can fix it, and most importantly, learn how to approach the mechanical and electrical systems of a car in the logical and correct way.

Thanks for reading!

Adam

abdultawab2t
    Participant

Hi Matt
    Believe it or not I am 72 years of age graduated from Khartoum polytechnic in 1971 I had my MSc degree in automobile engineering from Cranfield Institute (England) in 1982. So I spend all my working years as an engineer. An engineer in the Sudan is a manager so I haven’t had the opportunity to be in direct contact with the repair operations . I took the matter of automobile repair as a hobby . When traditional mechanical controlled system is replaced by OBD2 system I liked that very much . Having been retied on 2006 I constituted a small Garage . Last year I met by accident one of your videos . With my scientific background I found exactly what I want to see and hear. I appreciated your braveness and confidence in the scientific method you have chosen . I liked the way you speak and pronounce words which is crucial and most important for overseas .I have a lot to say but I will stop here and come back latter .Best regards
    Tawab

abdultawab2t
    Participant

Please explain how can I put my photo in my profile

DPC401
    Participant

Greeting everyone from the Ocean State. Name is Dave and have always had a passion for working on cars and figuring out how they work. Using Matt’s analytical and scientific thought process has saved me not only money, but tons of time in diagnosing.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 119 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join the Community

This Website is the ultimate resource for Advanced DIY Auto Repair with the specific purpose of preventing “parts changing”- that is- changing parts on a guess because of a lack of understanding on how to test if a part is actually faulty. This is accomplished by using a methodical, scientific approach to accurately confirm a diagnosis before attempting a repair. Subscribe here and you’ll stop firing the “parts cannon” by changing O2 sensors, plugs, and wires to try and fix your check engine light and instead use professional-level advanced Auto diagnostics and repair with tools and equipment available to any home mechanic.

Subscribe Now