Please introduce yourself!!

Vlog Home Forums Welcome and Introductions Please introduce yourself!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    Schrodingers Box
    Keymaster

Would love to have you put a brief introduction about yourself, a little of your background, and what videos you are hoping to find on the site. I will use this information to generate more customized content that is most fitting to the viewer demographics!

Steve
    Participant

Hi I’m Steve, I am 34 and I`am from England,
    My background on cars is simply DIY I love to learn new things and challenges, I feel I like to tackle the more challenging of jobs that is slightly beyond a DIYer.
    I always used to help my dad service and repair his car when I was much younger I always used to watch with great fascination.
    Then when I started to drive the real learning started, I started off by doing a cooling system flush on my first car due to it over heating in traffic then it was your standard oil and filter change and my knowledge and tool box grew from then on.

I do enjoy the fault finding videos a rarely get to fault find and really learn how to use the methods so they can stay in my head better.

At the moment though I am on a quest of doing up one of my cars at home from body work though to painting the car, I fully intend on doing this all by myself from what I have learned on YouTube and some common sense, first though I need to buy a wooden garage to put in my garden so I can properly do such work.

Hopefully this will be enough about me for now, I’m not really after a particular video for me as I have watched every single one of your videos on both of your channels and I will continue to do so even if it’s something that I have seen else where before or even know how to do.

All the best

Steve.

Wrench Spinner
    Participant

Hello Matt! I was once known on SB and SBQM as “Hoopty_Medic” but changed my username to “Wrench spinner” (I actually do a lot of that). Really glad to see SBQM back online because I refer to it quite often.

My Real name is Ron and I’m a commercial Refrigeration Mechanic and Controls Technician by trade, but my passion is automotive, specifically the control portion of it, but I love it all, even changing the oil and doing a rear main seal once in a while. I work on everything from Centrifugal Chillers to Thermo Electron / Forma Scientific Ultra Low Cascade style Freezers. I’m employed within the Federal Government at a large inpatient hospital and have been for the last 25 years.

Thanks to you Matt, my diagnostic skills are above average and being sharpened every day. Conservatively I’d estimate the the skills I’ve learned SB and SBQM have saved me upwards of $7,000.00 over 5 family vehicles and saved friends and their friends somewhere in the area of $15,000.00. This includes a $7,500 dollar engine a dealership mechanic tried to sell my Mothers best friend. She needed a timing chain kit and vvt sprocket. Her car has been on the road with the original engine for 13 months now!

Thanks my man,
    Ron

RCS
    Participant

Hi Matt! Probably have watched almost all of your videos over the years and, as a result, have become quite the gasoline passenger auto DIYer. Even changed heads and timing chains on a 4.7L V8 Chrysler product. My screen name on youtube is Sandbag1300. Look forward to some problem/solution videos on this new channel.

seamus7777
    Participant

Hi Matt. I have been following you for a while now and enjoying all your video content. I was both on SB and SBQM. I cannot describe myself as a DIYer because all I do is watch DIYer’s and never put in to practice what I watch. My reason for being here is my curiosity and learning interest from an automotive perspective. I enjoy watching the problem solving aspect and now, hopefully, I will get to do some of the learning side of things and maybe put it in to practice, eventually. I am resident in Ireland. So any video content you put out I will watch and who knows were it will take me.

Cheers Matt and welcome back. I told you you would sort things out in the short term.

ngl777777

Nigel

slowe
    Participant

Hi, I’m Steve. I’ve been working on cars my whole life. Can recall helping my dad change a starter on our 68 Plymouth when I was somewhere around 8-10 years old and was immediately and forever drawn into learning how things work. Shortly after high school, I got a job in an engine machine shop and worked there for about 5 years rebuilding engines and working on cars on the side. These days, I’m a computer systems engineer, but still tinker with my cars/trucks/bikes.

I’ve always done maintenance and most repairs on my vehicles, and admit to have taken the ‘parts cannon’ approach in the past. I stumbled across the ‘fuel trims’ videos on YouTube about a year ago while trying to understand how PCMs work and have been hooked on the channel and methodologies ever since.

Most recent challenge was my son’s GMC pickup. It would randomly die, then restart after several attempts. Threw a crankshaft position sensor code. In the past, I would’ve just bought a new sensor and tried that, but it wouldn’t have worked in this case. We pulled the sensor out and tested it by passing a magnet over it and checking for voltage. It worked. We then got the wiring diagram from alldata, reconnected the sensor to the harness and checked for voltage at the PCM connector. Nothing. Traced wires from PCM back to sensor and discovered that wires were pulling out of the connector on the sensor end and that the connector had been replaced with a cheap pigtail at some point in the past. Obtained a factory connector from the junkyard the next day, soldered/heatshrinked/retaped the wiring harness, rechecked for voltage at the PCM, success! So instead of ~$50 for a new CKP that WOULD NOT HAVE FIXED THE TRUCK, we spent $5 at the junkyard, and surely less time than we would have had we replaced the sensor first. All thanks to taking a logical approach versus throwing a part at it, inspired by Matt’s videos.

Bigfoote13
    Participant

Greetings everyone and thank you Matt for all you do! You do so well explaining step by step the procedures necessary for property finding and fixing whatever is wrong with the vehicle. I am a mobile auto mechanic in Northern California and have been only following you for the past 8 months or so. I look forward to learning as much as I can and thank you for all that you do!

mthqwork
    Participant

Hello Everyone, hello Matt!

I am mthq work (or work mthq dunno how YouTube displays), my real name is Gergely.
    I’m from Hungary, working as IT system administrator. Just learning about cars,
    your videos are very good. Easy to understand, but has a lot of information in it.
    I have 2 rare cars here, “mechanics” was ripped me off a lot of money (You know,
    the part cannon mechanics). Now with my uncle we do car repairs for ourselves.

Keep up the work, and we will be your constant subscriber 🙂
    (Sorry for the not-so-good english)

SilverGhost
    Participant

Hi Matt,
    my name is John, I’m 49, a GP by profession, but a very enthusiastic DIYer for a couple of years now. Your channel has been an invaluable source of much needed inspiration and clearly presented information that is so lacking on the internet in general.
    Thank-you so much for the enormous amount of work that has so obviously gone into your videos.
    Without asking for too much from you I would love as many case studies as possible reinforcing the logical processes involved in electrical diagnosis, whether that may be testing solenoids, computer drivers, analysing shorts, opens etc. You can become so complacent.so more confidence gained in dfferentiating between ground side and power side switched for example the better. In addition I enjoy seeing the use of all the toolsof the trade whether that means the humble DVOM and test light or the oscilloscope and let’s face it, all of us on this site need to learn all about this tool.

I realise that time nowadays does not allow you to do too much involved wrenching as such but yourseries a couple of years ago on engine dismantling and rebuilding struck a chord with me especially the bit at the end about simply biting the bullet and giving it a go so I am presently in the middle of some major work that I have you to thank for and which has been the reason I have learned so much.

Finally I also realise that you have limited access [ and interest ] in pre OBD 11 vehicles but f you ever had the opportunity to show work on these I for one would be a very interested observer as working without scan tool is a challenge in itself.

Once again a big thank -you and I look forward to spending more time watching and doing something that to me [ like to you ] has become a hobby as engrossing as anything I have done previously.

Toyotaman
    Participant

Hello everyone.

My name is Stephen from the UK. My interest in cars started back in the 1980s and has really snowballed since then. Years ago i did my own servicing work, then progressed to repair jobs and now enjoy doing diagnostics too. Very impressed with the website Matt.

CuConnacht
    Participant

Hi Matt,

I’m Dave and I’m from Ireland. I have a science background (like yourself) and work as a chemist. My interest in DIY on cars started out 10yrs ago because I couldn’t afford to pay for repairs or servicing on my car so I bought a socket set and started with a Haynes manual (ducks for cover!). From there I started watching ETCG videos then onto your videos and scannerdanners and recently a lot of Eric O’s stuff and many others in between. The electrical stuff would be a weaker point for me and I like the way the way you break down, explain and demonstrate the theory. Looking forward to watching and learning. Thanks.

Algdun
    Participant

Greetings all… real name is Al. Reside in central Kentucky. Retired from 40 years in the printing business. Slowly gaining speed as a DIYer on family vehicles (boy, do I wish I had a lift in the garage!). Been watching Matt for awhile, ETCG, Paul Danner, SMA, PHAD, and others. Next big step will be sinking $$$ into a diagnostic scanner. I’ve found my daughter-in-law’s 2006 Mini to be quite a challenge compared to others I’ve worked around. Looking forward to electrical diagnosis, wiring diags, etc. to sharpen my skills. Other vehicles in the family include 2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 Nissan Frontier, 2013 Nissan Sentra, 2014 Chevy Sonic. Looking forward to Matt’s “show”.

Schrodingers Box
    Keymaster

This is great everyone! Good to see these familiar names!!
    It’s great to know the fan base. I’ll probably do some videos here showing a bit on how I got started and built up my garage and channel purely on income generated from working on cars on the weekend as a “paid hobby”. I think a lot of you may be interested in a similar trajectory!

Trent
    Participant

Hello everyone. Thanks for the new website Matt.
    My name is Trent and I’m an advanced DIYer. My regular job is being a control room operator on a paper machine.

I’ve done various mechanical and electrical work all my life. A few years ago (after running into guys like Matt), I took an interest in understanding/troubleshooting automotive circuit design. After studying and submitting some part time hours worked (over the past 40 years), I tested and earned my A6 and A8 ASE certifications.

My scan tool equipment is Autoenginuity. I have several other pieces of diagnostic equipment including a Picoscope.

Thanks again Matt. Love your sense of humor.

Trent

FearlessFreep
    Participant

Hello all, my name is Steve and I am a shadetree mechanic, never been a professional one and don’t have any credentials. I’ve always preferred to work on my cars myself to save money, and I enjoy doing it. I’ve always used the parts cannon approach though, until a couple of years ago when I found Matt’s channel along with some others that show how to do diagnostics instead of just parts changing. Matt, I have followed your channel on Youtube for a while and you seem to know what you’re doing, and you are funny too. I want to improve my fledgling diagnostic skills and so here I am. Looking forward to what you have to offer Matt!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 119 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join the Community

This Website is the ultimate resource for Advanced DIY Auto Repair with the specific purpose of preventing “parts changing”- that is- changing parts on a guess because of a lack of understanding on how to test if a part is actually faulty. This is accomplished by using a methodical, scientific approach to accurately confirm a diagnosis before attempting a repair. Subscribe here and you’ll stop firing the “parts cannon” by changing O2 sensors, plugs, and wires to try and fix your check engine light and instead use professional-level advanced Auto diagnostics and repair with tools and equipment available to any home mechanic.

Subscribe Now