Intermittent P0430

Home Forums The Garage Intermittent P0430

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    sertimins
    Participant

I also experience what Aquaman have. 2006 RX330 which is basically the same engine as his. Smog check was always flawless but on one long trip, I filled up at some gas station then CEL started. No choice but to drive it home >400 miles. Cataclean worked enough for me to pass smog the same year. I also experienced CEL turn off on its own and come back. I took the chance of spraying seafoam directly into cat from upstream O2 hole on both bank. I learned from youtube and nothing to lose. In CA, CAT replacement is not an option for old car as you need to buy OEM new part costing you thousands plus labor. I also watched Matts video but as upstream is AF sensor, can not compare. B2S2 sensor waves wildly but not consistent wave pattern. B1S2 also do the waves but differently and both hang out around 0.7V when not waving around. Both AF sensor consistent at 3.3v with couple of voltage spikes in OL. LTFT is less then 4% on both banks. I am so tempted to fire the parts cannon just to see what the new downstream O2 sensor reads. Will it still wave around or give me a steady stream. Will it drop from .7V to around .45? anyways, 0430 has not triggered / pending yet. I’ll update if it was a temporary bandage.

Apex
      Participant

Not that it helps much, but there are “california approved” catalytic converters, still over a thousand dollars for the ones that come right off the block though.

The rear O2 sensor will bounce a little as far as I know, but should stay consistently rich and not follow the usual oscillation you would see on an upstream narrowband o2 sensor.

As I was discussing in another thread regarding a Mazda I do believe that at least some cars will use a rear o2 sensor will “calibrate” a front o2 sensor, but I haven’t found much information regarding what cars use this strategy. Are you seeing a big discrepancy between bank 1 and bank 2 rear o2 sensors?

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.